Canon has just announced their latest offering of the Rebel entry level, line of EOS Digital SLRs.
However don’t let the description, “Entry Level” fool you. This is a HIGHLY sophisticated camera which offers a lot of the same features at the recently released EOS 7D, at just a fraction of the cost.
Key features of this new EOS Rebel are:
- 18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- Digic 4 Processor
- ISO 100-6400 (Expansion to 12800)
- Shoots at 3.7 frames per second in continuous mode
- 9 Point AF system derived from the Canon 30D
- 63 Zone Metering system
- Shoots FULL HD movies, with Manual control and same frame rates & resolutions as the 7D with a movie crop function
- Uses the H.264 Video encoding format
- Includes an external Microphone Jack for audio recording
- 3″ Rear screen with 1,040 pixels
- Compatible with the Eye-Fi
- Uses an all new Battery (LP-E8)
- Compatible accessories include the new Battery Grip BG-E8 and Wireless Remote Controller RC-6
From the specifications this looks like a mini version of the 7D. Pretty impressive indeed! Specially when you consider the expected street price of $799.99 USD. That’s LESS than HALF the price of a 7D!!!
Canon will also offer a kit with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for $899 USD
Check out the specs at the Canon Website
And DPReview.com has a preview