In a completely random order, my top ten iPad apps! Some free, some paid, all used regularly. Got some more? Let’s hear about them in the comments.
- Square: If you take money, ever, get this. Accept credit card swipes with only a transaction cost. No up front, monthly fees or commitment.
- The Photographer’s Ephemeris: Great app for showing sunset/sunrise times at various locations, as well as displaying the actual angle of the sun on a map.
- DSLRemote: Remotely control your DSLR wirelessly. (You must connect it to a Mac or PC first though.)
- SmugMug: Nice app for showing off your SmugMug galleries on the ipad.
- EasyRelease: Fantastic Model Release application. Now we just need a camera to append a photo of the model.
- Starmap HD: Night sky app that uses the compass present on a non-3G iPad.
- Kindle: I far prefer the Kindle app to the iBooks app. Though I am still sort of partial to my Sony eink reader, the ease of purchasing ebooks as well as synchronization across all devices is a pretty killer feature. I’ve been reading ebooks almost exclusively since 2001 and this is probably my best experience yet.
- Photos: The built in photos app enables the iPads use as a fantastic portfolio. The ips panel displays your photos with incredible clarity and dynamic range.
- Share-a-bill: Great and SIMPLE app for handling any variation of sharing costs across a number of people, multiple days and costs. Calculate what everyone owes or is owed at the end.
- Safari: The enabler for so many other fantastic web applications such as Google Reader.
Bonus apps for when you need to just kick back and relax.
- Canabalt: Simple, fun game! One button to control.
- TowerMadness HD: Fantastic tower defense game. Warning: ADDICTIVE!
- Words with Friends HD: Scrabble. Er, not scrabble. But, yeah, scrabble. Played turn-based over the internet or locally.